CHICAGO, Feb. 3, 2021 /PRNewswire/ -- Cboe Global Markets, Inc. (Cboe: CBOE), a market operator and global trading solutions provider, today reported January monthly trading volume.
Monthly Trading Volume
OPTIONS VOLUME (contracts, thousands)
FUTURES (contracts, thousands)
U.S. EQUITIES – EXCHANGE MATCHED VOLUME (shares, millions)
U.S. EQUITIES – OFF-EXCHANGE MATCHED VOLUME (shares, millions)1
CANADIAN EQUITIES MATCHED VOLUME (shares, thousands)2
EUROPEAN EQUITIES (€ millions)
Total Notional Value
GLOBAL FX ($ millions)4
Total Notional Value
1U.S. Equities Off-Exchange data reflects Cboe's acquisition of BIDS Trading effective on December 31, 2020.
2Canadian Equities data reflects Cboe's acquisition of MATCHNow effective on August 4, 2020.
3EuroCCP data reflects Cboe's acquisition of EuroCCP effective on July 1, 2020.
4As of January 2021, Global FX metrics include Spot and SEF products.
ADV= average daily volume
ADNV= average daily notional value
Cboe Global Markets Average Revenue Per Contract/Net Revenue Capture Updated This Week
The company plans to report its average revenue per contract and net revenue capture data for the three months ended December 31, 2020, in its quarterly earnings news release, which is expected to be issued on Friday, February 5, 2021. The 2020 data sheets available on the website will be updated to include this information.
January 2021 Volume Highlights
- Total combined volume at Cboe Global Markets' four options exchanges set a new single-day volume record on January 27, with 18.5 million contracts traded.
- ADV in Cboe Volatility Index® options (VIX®) was more than 662,000 contracts, up 34 percent from January 2020, and up 68 percent from December 2020.
- ADV in S&P 500® Index options (SPX) was more than 1.2 million contracts, up 15 percent from December 2020.
- Options on the MSCI® Emerging Markets Index (MXEF) set a new monthly volume record with more than 48,000 contracts traded. MXEF options also set a new monthly ADV record with more than 2,500 contracts traded representing $337 million in average daily notional value.
- Options on the MSCI® EAFE® Index (MXEA) set a new monthly ADV record with more than 920 contracts traded, representing $194 million in average daily notional value.
- ADV on each of Cboe's four options exchanges increased compared to a year ago: Cboe Options up 28 percent, Cboe BZX up 85 percent, Cboe EDGX up 82 percent and Cboe C2 up 52 percent. ADV across each of the exchanges also rose compared to December 2020.
- Cboe BZX Options Exchange set a new monthly ADV record with 3.9 million contracts traded. The exchange also set a new single-day volume record on January 27, with nearly 6 million contracts traded.
- Cboe EDGX Options Exchange set a new monthly ADV record with 1.5 million contracts traded.
- Cboe C2 Options Exchange set new monthly total volume and ADV record with nearly 27 million contracts and 1.4 million contracts traded. C2 Options also set a new single-day volume record on January 29, with 1.8 million contracts traded.
- ADV in VIX futures was more than 247,000 contracts, up 77 percent from December 2020.
- ADV in Mini VIX futures (VXM) was up 91 percent from December 2020. Approximately 2.5 million contracts have traded in total since launch on August 9, 2020.
- Cboe® iBoxx® iShares® $ High Yield Corporate Bond Index (IBHY) futures set a new monthly ADV record with more than 1,300 contracts traded, representing $200 million in notional value. On January 27, IBHY futures set a new single-day volume record with 6,733 contracts traded, representing $979 million in notional value.
- Cboe® iBoxx® iShares® $ Investment Grade Corporate Bond Index (IBIG) futures set a new monthly ADV record with more than 430 contracts traded, representing $65 million in notional value. On January 28, IBIG futures set a new single-day volume record with 1,283 contracts traded, representing $191 million in notional value.
North American Equities
- Cboe EDGX Equities Exchange set a new monthly total volume record with nearly 23 billion shares. The exchange also set a new monthly ADV record with 1.2 billion shares traded per day.
- Cboe EDGX Equities Exchange set a new single-day volume record on January 27 with more than 2 billion shares traded.
- Cboe EDGX Equities Exchange market share reached a 52-week high on January 27, capturing more than 8 percent of the market.
- Cboe's new retail priority offering on Cboe EDGX Equities Exchange hit a new high for monthly ADV of more than 437 million shares traded, up 56 percent over December 2020.
- Cboe Europe's Dutch venue, Cboe NL, reported a record ADNV of €4.9 billion, up from €0.03 billion in December 2020, following a successful transition of activity in EU-listed securities post-Brexit.
- Cboe Europe Periodic Auctions reported ADNV of €1.2 billion, up 31 percent from the €924 million in December 2020.
- Cboe LIS, Cboe Europe's block trading platform, reported ADNV of €422 million, up 58 percent from the €268 million in December 2020.
About Cboe Global Markets, Inc.
Cboe Global Markets (Cboe: CBOE) provides cutting-edge trading and investment solutions to market participants around the world. The company is committed to defining markets through product innovation, leading edge technology and seamless trading solutions.
The company offers trading across a diverse range of products in multiple asset classes and geographies, including options, futures, U.S., Canadian and European equities, exchange-traded products (ETPs), global foreign exchange (FX) and volatility products based on the Cboe Volatility Index (VIX Index), recognized as the world's premier gauge of U.S. equity market volatility.
Cboe's subsidiaries include the largest options exchange and the third largest stock exchange operator in the U.S. In addition, the company operates one of the largest stock exchanges by value traded in Europe, and owns EuroCCP, a leading pan-European equities clearing house. Cboe also is a leading market globally for ETP listings and trading.
The company is headquartered in Chicago with a network of domestic and global offices across the Americas, Europe and Asia, including main hubs in New York, London, Kansas City and Amsterdam. For more information, visit www.cboe.com.
+44 (0) 7593-506-719
BZX®, Cboe®, Cboe Global Markets®, Cboe Volatility Index®, CFE®, EDGX®, VIX®, and XSP are registered trademarks and Cboe Futures ExchangeSM, C2SM and Mini VIXSM M are service marks of Cboe Exchange, Inc. or its affiliates. S&P 500® and SPX® are registered trademarks of Standard & Poor's Financial Services, LLC and has been licensed for use by Cboe Exchange, Inc. All other trademarks and service marks are the property of their respective owners.
Any products that have the S&P Index or Indexes as their underlying interest are not sponsored, endorsed, sold or promoted by Standard & Poor's or Cboe and neither Standard & Poor's nor Cboe make any representations or recommendations concerning the advisability of investing in products that have S&P indexes as their underlying interests. All other trademarks and service marks are the property of their respective owners.
Cboe Global Markets, Inc. and its affiliates do not recommend or make any representation as to possible benefits from any securities, futures or investments, or third-party products or services. Cboe Global Markets, Inc. is not affiliated with MSCI, Russell, iShares® or IHS Markit. Investors should undertake their own due diligence regarding their securities, futures, and investment practices. This press release speaks only as of this date. Cboe Global Markets, Inc. disclaims any duty to update the information herein.
Nothing in this announcement should be considered a solicitation to buy or an offer to sell any securities or futures in any jurisdiction where the offer or solicitation would be unlawful under the laws of such jurisdiction. Nothing contained in this communication constitutes tax, legal or investment advice. Investors must consult their tax adviser or legal counsel for advice and information concerning their particular situation.
Cboe Global Markets, Inc. and its affiliates make no warranty, expressed or implied, including, without limitation, any warranties as of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, accuracy, completeness or timeliness, the results to be obtained by recipients of the products and services described herein, or as to the ability of the indices referenced in this press release to track the performance of their respective securities, generally, or the performance of the indices referenced in this press release or any subset of their respective securities, and shall not in any way be liable for any inaccuracies, errors. Cboe Global Markets, Inc. and its affiliates have not calculated, composed or determined the constituents or weightings of the securities that comprise the indices referenced in this press release and shall not in any way be liable for any inaccuracies, errors.
Futures trading is not suitable for all investors and involves the risk of loss. That risk of loss can be substantial and can exceed the amount of money deposited for a futures position. You should, therefore, carefully consider whether futures trading is suitable for you in light of your circumstances and financial resources. You should put at risk only funds that you can afford to lose without affecting your lifestyle. For additional information regarding futures trading risks, see the Risk Disclosure Statement set forth in Appendix A to CFTC Regulation 1.55(c) and the Risk Disclosure Statement for Security Futures Contracts.
The iBoxx® iShares® $ High Yield Corporate Bond Index and the iBoxx® iShares® $ Investment Grade Corporate Bond Index (the "Indexes") referenced herein are the property of Markit Indices Limited ("Index Sponsor") and have been licensed for use in connection with Cboe® iBoxx® iShares® $ High Yield Corporate Bond Index Futures and Cboe® iBoxx® iShares® $ Investment Grade Corporate Bond Index Futures. Each party to a Cboe® iBoxx® iShares® $ High Yield Corporate Bond Index Futures or Cboe® iBoxx® iShares® $ Investment Grade Corporate Bond Index Futures transaction acknowledges and agrees that the transaction is not sponsored, endorsed or promoted by the Index Sponsor. The Index Sponsor makes no representation whatsoever, whether express or implied, and hereby expressly disclaims all warranties (including, without limitation, those of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose or use), with respect to the Indexes or any data included therein or relating thereto, and in particular disclaims any warranty either as to the quality, accuracy and/or completeness of the Indexes or any data included therein, the results obtained from the use of the Indexes and/or the composition of the Indexes at any particular time on any particular date or otherwise and/or the creditworthiness of any entity, or the likelihood of the occurrence of a credit event or similar event (however defined) with respect to an obligation, in the Indexes at any particular time on any particular date or otherwise. The Index Sponsor shall not be liable (whether in negligence or otherwise) to the parties or any other person for any error in the Indexes, and the Index Sponsor is under no obligation to advise the parties or any person of any error therein.
The Index Sponsor makes no representation whatsoever, whether express or implied, as to the advisability of purchasing or selling Cboe® iBoxx® iShares® $ High Yield Corporate Bond Index Futures and Cboe® iBoxx® iShares® $ Investment Grade Corporate Bond Index Futures, the ability of the Indexes to track relevant markets' performances, or otherwise relating to the Indexes or any transaction or product with respect thereto, or of assuming any risks in connection therewith. The Index Sponsor has no obligation to take the needs of any party into consideration in determining, composing or calculating the Indexes. No party purchasing or selling Cboe® iBoxx® iShares® $ High Yield Corporate Bond Index Futures or Cboe® iBoxx® iShares® $ Investment Grade Corporate Bond Index Futures, nor the Index Sponsor, shall have any liability to any party for any act or failure to act by the Index Sponsor in connection with the determination, adjustment, calculation or maintenance of the Indexes. iBoxx® is a service mark of IHS Markit Limited.
The iBoxx® iShares® $ High Yield Corporate Bond Index and the iBoxx® iShares® $ Investment Grade Corporate Bond Index (the "Indexes") and futures contracts on the Indexes ("Contracts") are not sponsored by, or sold by BlackRock, Inc. or any of its affiliates (collectively, " BlackRock"). BlackRock makes no representation or warranty, express or implied to any person regarding the advisability of investing in securities, generally, or in the Contracts in particular. Nor does BlackRock make any representation or warranty as to the ability of the Index to track the performance of the fixed income securities market, generally, or the performance of HYG, LQD or any subset of fixed income securities.
BlackRock has not calculated, composed or determined the constituents or weightings of the fixed income securities that comprise the Indexes ("Underlying Data"). BlackRock is not responsible for and has not participated in the determination of the prices and amounts of the Contracts, or the timing of the issuance or sale of such Contracts or in the determination or calculation of the equation by which the Contracts are to be converted into cash (if applicable). BlackRock has no obligation or liability in connection with the administration or trading of the Contracts. BlackRock does not guarantee the accuracy or the completeness of the Underlying Data and any data included therein and BlackRock shall have no liability for any errors, omissions or interruptions related thereto.
BlackRock makes no warranty, express or implied, as to results to be obtained by Markit or its affiliates, the parties to the Contracts or any other person with respect to the use of the Underlying Data or any data included therein. BlackRock makes no express or implied warranties and expressly disclaims all warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose or use with respect to the Underlying Data or any data included therein. Without limiting any of the foregoing, in no event shall BlackRock have any liability for any special, punitive, direct, indirect or consequential damages (including lost profits) resulting from the use of the Underlying Data or any data included therein, even if notified of the possibility of such damages.
iShares® is a registered trademark of BlackRock Fund Advisors and its affiliates.
View original content to download multimedia:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/cboe-global-markets-reports-january-2021-trading-volume-301221719.html
SOURCE Cboe Global Markets, Inc.