ST. PAUL, Minn., June 21, 2017 /3BL Media/ – In 2016, Ecolab Inc., the global leader in water, hygiene and energy technologies and services, helped customers save 161 billion gallons of water at more than one million locations around the world. These savings, equivalent to the annual drinking water needs of more than 558 million people, are highlighted in the company’s 2016 Corporate Sustainability Report, issued today. The report profiles Ecolab's commitment to helping customers preserve fresh water and reduce energy use and waste, as well as improving the company’s own operations.
“Through unparalleled service, industry-leading innovation and real-time data and insights, Ecolab helps customers across more than 40 industries better manage the world’s limited natural resources,” said Emilio Tenuta, Ecolab vice president of Corporate Sustainability.
Ecolab’s 2016 Corporate Sustainability Report includes several examples of how Ecolab helps companies achieve both business and sustainability goals, including:
- A five-star Hyatt hotel in Pune, India, saved 1.8 million gallons of fresh water through 3D TRASAR™ Technology for Cooling Water.
- Kinseth Hospitality, a leading U.S. hotel company, saved 227,000 therms and 33.3 million gallons of water by implementing Aquanomic™ Low-Temp Laundry Solids Program in 70 properties (projected annual savings).
- An international retail company with in-house restaurants switched to the Apex™ warewashing program and eliminated 69,000 pounds of plastic and 2,200 pounds of paper (projected savings).
- A plant in Northern Europe that converts organic waste into electricity, green gas and biomass for power plants reduced its industrial process water use by 85 percent through the use of FLOCMASTER™ Technology.
- A Dow plant in Tarragona, Spain, now uses up to 40 percent reclaimed municipal water for its cooling tower operations, reducing chemical usage by 23 percent, freshwater withdrawal from a nearby river by 22 percent and effluent discharge by 49 percent through 3D TRASAR™ Technology combined with a Dual Cathodic Inhibition program.
- Termoelectrica, a power plant in Mexicali, Baja California, Mexico optimized its cooling tower with 3D TRASAR Technology for Cooling Water and saved 647 million gallons of water, 125,000 kWh of energy and 47.3 tons of CO2 emissions.
Internally, Ecolab aims to reduce water usage by 25 percent and GHG emissions by 10 percent across all manufacturing plants by 2020, against a 2015 baseline. These goals reflect the company’s commitment to continuous improvement across its global footprint.
In 2016, Ecolab advanced enterprise-wide efficiency efforts and initiated large projects to significantly reduce water and energy use at target manufacturing plants. These programs, combined with additional initiatives in the coming years, will deliver savings in 2017 and beyond to help the company achieve its 2020 goals. By 2030, Ecolab aims to conserve 300 billion gallons of water annually by reducing water consumption in both its and its customers’ operations.
In 2016, Ecolab was named to CR Magazine's 100 Best Corporate Citizens, Newsweek's Green Rankings and Ethisphere Institute's list of the World's Most Ethical Companies. In addition, Ecolab was listed on the Dow Jones Sustainability Index and recognized as one of Fortune’s World’s Most Admired Companies and by Forbes as one of America’s Best Employers.
Ecolab's 2016 Corporate Sustainability Report was developed in alignment with the Global Reporting Initiative's (GRI) G4 core guidelines. The report summary and complete GRI Index are available at http://www.Ecolab.com/Sustainability.
A trusted partner at more than one million customer locations, Ecolab (ECL) is the global leader in water, hygiene and energy technologies and services that protect people and vital resources. With 2016 sales of $13 billion and 48,000 associates, Ecolab delivers comprehensive solutions and on-site service to promote safe food, maintain clean environments, optimize water and energy use and improve operational efficiencies for customers in the food, healthcare, energy, hospitality and industrial markets in more than 170 countries around the world. For more Ecolab news and information, visit www.ecolab.com.Contact Info:
+1 (651) 250-4385
KEYWORDS: Responsible Production & Consumption, Awards, Ratings & Rankings, Ecolab